2. the smell of those sugared holiday peanuts & cashews
3. the first snowfall
4. when you make the closing subway door
5. coffee everywhere
6. the whirl of the radiator
7. a juicy cheeseburger
9. knowing everyone around you has their own drama
10. that moment of sky when you walk out of a subway station
Leah Umansky’s The Barbarous Century is forthcoming from Eyewear Publishing in 2018. She is also the author of the dystopian-themed Straight Away the Emptied World (Kattywompus Press, 2016), the Mad-Men inspired chapbook, Don Dreams and I Dream (Kattywompus Press, 2014), and the full length, Domestic Uncertainties (BlazeVOX, 2012). Her poems have appeared or are forthcoming in POETRY, Boston Review, The Journal, and Thrush Poetry Journal. She is a graduate of the MFA Program in Poetry at Sarah Lawrence College and teaches middle and high school English in New York City. More at www.LeahUmansky.com.
featured image via Vivienne Gucwa on Flickr.